I know that figuring out what to wear for your family photo session in Maui can be really difficult! This guide is not by any means a be all and end all, at the end of the day your outfits should show your personality. If you never wear dresses, don’t feel that you have to for your photo session! This guide should be a starting point for you to come up with some outfits that can help your family shine!
Do’s and don’ts –
- DO Wear something comfortable (if you are uncomfortable it will show)
- DO Choose colors that compliment and tie in with the natural background colors. I.e. choose tans, blues, yellows, whites, greens, soft orange, white, cream, deep red.
- DO bring a change of clothes if you have an hour session or longer, but definitely bring a change for the car ride back to your hotel because more than likely you’ll be getting sandy / wet.
- DON’T wear frills around your neckline as they inevitably flap and blow up and down and can block your face.
- DON’T add too many patterns, you can choose one, and take colors from that print to use on other family members and tie the whole group together.
- DON’T do matchy matchy – no two people are the same, why should you dress the same? Show off your personality!
Suggested online stores for shopping –
Baltic Born- https://balticborn.com/
Zara – https://www.zara.com/us/
H&M – https://www2.hm.com/en_us/index.html
Old Navy – https://oldnavy.gap.com/
Spell – https://www.revolve.com/spell-the-gypsy-collective/br/7bc8e5/
Nordstrom – https://www.nordstrom.com/?origin=tab-logo
Asos – https://www.asos.com/
Anthropologie – https://www.anthropologie.com/
This one is a great look for the beach, the blues and browns tie in with the sand colors and the ocean.
This look would work well against more greens i.e. jungle but it would also work really well on the beach too.
Bold and modern
This look would be great for a morning beach session, the blues tie in with the ocean and the yellows add a pop of boldness.
Fun in the sun
You’re taking photos at the beach right? Why not come in your bathing suits? Dad can wear the shirt open or closed, mom can choose to wear a shawl/ cover up if you feel too exposed. I LOVE beach shoots with bathing suits, it looks so fun AND you can jump in the water!
Muted and chic
I envisage a family wearing this outfit walking along windswept beaches or out on the cliffs in Maui. I love the muted tones.
Ready to book your Maui Family Portrait Session? Click here
Want to get some more ideas of what to wear from past sessions? Checkout the blog here